Are you ready for a 40-day journey you’ll never forget? You can start this financial fast anytime by marking today’s calendar and then setting your end date 40 days from now. From the beginning, let’s agree this is not prosperity teaching or affiliated with the prosperity gospel movement.
Fasting is spiritually rewarding. But let’s understand this is not a Lenten activity practiced only by Catholics. The Catholic tradition includes fasting foods, penance, and self-examination of sins. It typically focuses on sacraments mandated by the church.
Now that we’ve removed the obstacles to 40 days of fasting, let’s begin our journey with the Holy Spirit!
According to Dr. Elmer Towns there are Nine fasts of Isaiah 58:6-8
- Loose the bonds of wickedness- Disciples fast to break addiction and sin
- Undo heavy burdens- Ezra fast to solve problems
- Let oppressed go free- Samuel fast for evangelism and revival
- Break every yoke- Elijah fast to break discouragement and burnout
- Share your bread with the hungry- Widow’s fast to supply physical necessities to the poor
- Your light shall break forth- Paul fast for insight and decision making
- Healing shall spring forth- Daniel fast for health and healing
- Righteousness shall go before you- John the Baptist fast for influence and testimony
- Glory of God shall be your rear guard- Esther fast for spiritual warfare and protection from the evil one
Pray the Holy Spirit teaches you to be a good steward of money, so my financial fast is based on #6 for insight and decision making. I am praying that He shows me what are necessities and what are luxuries. I am praying that He teaches me to fill the empty spaces in my heart with God’s love and the Presence of Jesus, rather than with excess spending or eating. I am praying to take my mind off money and that it will not become an idol in my life. What are you praying for?
While fasting financially, I am praying for you too. I’ll be reading your comments on the Bible Cafe™ event page. I will be interceding and lifting you up in prayer. Some of you are struggling financially and praying for employment or debt reduction. Others are struggling to create a budget or stay within your budget. A few have let money become the master of your life or allowed it to shame you. Together we’ll pray to break any strongholds that money has assumed in our hearts.
Financial Fasting with the Bible Cafe™ Community
God may be calling you to deny yourself something for the next 40 days. Pray into this and ask Him to reveal things on your shopping list that are unnecessary. Ask Him to examine your calendar of events. Sit with your bank statements and ask Him to line-item those things that are necessary and those that are not. Most importantly ask Him “Am I being a good steward of my money?” Wait for an answer.
Create a simple list of what you will allow and what you will deny yourself for the next 40 days. What YOU give up and what makes YOU uncomfortable is going to be different than someone else. For example, I do not smoke or drink, so if I gave up the cost buying cigarettes or alcohol for 40 days, it would have zero impact on my life and I would not grow spiritually. I do have an addiction to books and it will make me uncomfortable to miss a daily book deal or shop on Amazon. This is just one example of where I feel the Holy Spirit telling me to cut unnecessary spending.
Financial Fasting Bible Verses to Study or Memorize
Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:13-14 ESV
If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. John 15:7 ESV
Never stop praying. 1 Thess. 5:17 NLT
Tip: using your cell phone, snap a photo of these verses so you can find them easily
Steps For Spiritual Growth
- Decide which of the nine fasts from Isaiah that you will be focused on. I shared that I am fasting for insight and decision making. Post a comment below and let me know what you are fasting for so I can write your name on my prayer card.
- Fast and pray according to God’s will. Make sure you ask for things God wants you to have. Pray and ask Him.
- Create a simple list of what you will allow and what you will deny yourself for the next 40 days.
- If you need to move a mountain, put your faith into your prayers. Jesus said to the disciples, “Have faith in God.” Mark 11:22 NLT.
- Book: “Fasting For Financial Breakthrough” by Dr. Elmer Towns, read chapters 1 and 2 (optional) (As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.)